Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Feijoas, feijoas, feijoas...

Okay here goes, first blog post, a tad nervous to be honest. A small admission before I begin; I am passionate about food. Full stop. In fact I would go as far as to say I'm infatuated with it. Give me a cook book, cooking magazine, novel about food and I'm lost for hours. I can sit and watch the Food TV channel for days - it really is an obsession that needs to be taken into hand and what better way to do this than blogging my food passions/frustrations online.

Let's go!

Many people say that baking is a science and not an art....well I personally think it's a bit of both. Along my culinary journey I've had many a mess up in the kitchen, from burnt buns to exploding cupcakes, it's all a learning  experience that makes you glad that it happened and in years to come you can look back and laugh about it. 

Since moving to New Zealand I've had the strange but wonderful experience of trying new fruits and vegetables, many of which just aren't available in British supermarkets. One of my strangest finds is the Feijoa, it's really a love/hate affair to be honest. I couldn't touch the things for years and then 2 weeks ago whilst picking them at a friend's place in Matakana, well I can't get enough of them! 


Wikipedia wants to tell me that "The fruit, maturing in autumn, is green, ellipsoid, and about the size of a chicken egg. It has a sweet, aromatic flavor. The flesh is juicy and is divided into a clear gelatinous seed pulp and a firmer, slightly gritty, opaque flesh nearer the skin. The fruit drops when ripe and at its fullest flavor, but may be picked from the tree prior to the drop to prevent bruising. The fruit pulp resembles the closely related guava, having a gritty texture." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acca_sellowiana

Basically...it smells like perfume - honestly, it does! Am I selling it to you?! But it's an amazing perfume, The Chanel No. 5 of fruits. Anyway - it's a beautifully versatile fruit that loves baking, yes it's like me. So in the next few posts I shall be telling you what I've done with this beautiful green object. Until then, collect as many as you can from your neighbour's driveway and I'll tell you what to do with them this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment