Wow, this year is flying by and it's Easter this weekend. It really is another perfect excuse to whip up some amazing treats and enjoy them with family and friends. One of my favourite Easter cake recipes is below - it's just divine.
I top with dark chocolate ganache (recipe also below) and chocolate eggs, then serve warmed with cream or ice cream...heaven. Thanks to Rachel Allen and her book "Bake" for this recipe.
HAPPY EASTER! X
CHOCOLATE & VANILLA MARBLE CAKE
225g (8oz) butter, softened
225g (8oz) caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
225g (8oz) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
50ml (1 ¾ fl oz) milk
Scant 50g (2oz) cocoa powder, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. Butter and flour the sides of a 20cm (8in) diameter spring-form/loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Gradually add the eggs to the butter mixture, beating all the time. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold in gently to mix, then add the milk and mix gently to combine.
4. Tip half of the cake mixture into another large bowl and, into this bowl, fold in the sifted cocoa powder.
5. Place the cake mixtures into the prepared tin by alternating spoonfuls of the vanilla batter with the chocolate batter, then with a skewer or similar implement, gently draw swirls through the cake mixture to ‘marblise’ it. Don’t overmix or you won’t have that wonderful marble effect. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1/2 Cup double (thickened) cream
200g Dark chocolate
1. Melt chocolate in microwave proof bowl or over pot with hot water.
2. Heat cream in separate pot on minimal heat, until warmed through. Remove from heat and stir into melted chocolate.
3. Mix well until it combines and becomes glossy. Spread onto cake & top with mini chocolate eggs.